Herbed Asparagus Quinoa
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (approx. 3 cups cooked)
- ⅔ cup cilantro
- ⅔ cup dill
- ⅔ cup basil (stems removed)
- ¼ cup wheat free tamari
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice + 4 wedges for serving
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ½ cup olive oil +2 tablespoons oil for sauté
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 ½ cups chopped asparagus – approximately 1 bunch of medium sized asparagus
- Rinse quinoa in cold water.
- Add quinoa and 2 cups of water to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer with a lid until quinoa is cooked and water is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Mix cilantro, dill, basil, tamari, almonds, lemon juice, onion, red pepper flakes, and ½ cup olive oil into a food processor or high-powered blender.
- Discard the hard bottom portion of each asparagus stalk. This is done by breaking off the stem where it naturally bends (where the softer part of the stalk meets the tougher part).
- Wash and cut asparagus into ½ inch pieces.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper to a large sauté pan and heat over medium heat.
- Cook asparagus in the pan for 6 minutes, and once cooked, add the herb sauce. Heat the sauce with the asparagus for 1 minute then add cooked quinoa.
- Mix gently until the quinoa is heated and covered in sauce. Serve with a lemon wedge, or squeeze lemon juice over before serving and garnish with herbs.